Tuesday, January 24, 2012

One Down!

Kicking off 2012 with a bang, I am already done with my first blanket of the year, huzzah! I finished it up this past weekend. Here, take a gander:

Earthstar by Cori 2012.

Pattern: Granny's Ripple by Jean M. Roush (available in Blue Ribbon Afghans From America's State Fairs: 40 Prize-Winning Crocheted Designs)
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Aran (one skein), Buff (two skeins), and Cafe (two skeins)
Hook: US N (9.0 mm)

As I mentioned before, I really do like the construction of this blanket. It starts out with nine small granny squares, but you attach them as you make them, so there's no sewing together of squares. Then the body of the blanket is worked in the round after that. It's spiffy. Here's a closer look at the center detail.


The border is a series of small (one-round) granny squares, again attached as they are made, and then a row of single crochet around the granny squares. Here's a detail on that for you.


All of the rows done in the round are done in the back loop only, which gives it that cool ripple effect (hence the name). I have to say, I really love this pattern. I could see easily scaling it down for a tighter weave too by simply using a smaller hook and adjusting the number of rows and border granny squares. This one is really light and open and came out to be about six feet across at its widest spot. Should make a very cozy blanket for curling up on the couch.

Now, this is the second blanket I have made using a pattern out of the Blue Ribbon Afghans book, and I do have to register one small complaint. For some unfathomable reason, when listing the required supplies to make each pattern, they only specify the weight of yarn (sport, worsted, etc.) and the number of ounces. No brand name is given, nor the yardage. This is driving me nuts! If you are not going to give me the yardage (which gives you a much more accurate idea of how much yarn to buy), at least tell me what brand the creator used so that I can look up the yardage/ounces ratio and make an educated guess when purchasing my own yarn. I mean, yes, I still highly recommend this book if you are looking for some awesome crochet blanket patterns to add to your library. But I do want to make you aware of this eccentricity at least. Maybe this doesn't mess with other people as much, but it is throwing me off. For instance, when I made this blanket, I ended up needing to buy three extra skeins of yarn despite checking my gauge faithfully. I also know I didn't get in as many pattern repeats as the instructions called for. Now, with this second blanket, I followed the ounce requirements given, and this is what I had left over after finishing the blanket:



For those counting at home, that's four full skeins (28 ounces), and three remnants. That's a lot of leftover yarn. I'm not complaining too much about that though, I am sure it will all come in handy eventually. I actually think I already have a project in mind for at least some of it. So there's that. Still. Weird.

Anyhoo. Still working on the scarf (of course), and then I've got two little quickie projects I am hoping I can get done this coming weekend before I jump into blanket number two. I am enjoying the forward momentum. Fingers crossed that I can keep it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment