Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Go Fish

Wow, I almost forgot to show you this little beauty!

One Fish, Two Fish by Cori 2012

Pattern: June by Sandy Rideout (from Leisure Arts #5260 A Year of Baby Afghans Book 5)
Yarn: Knit Picks Brava Worsted in Solstice Heather, Canary, and Red (3, 1, and 1 skeins)
Hook: US I

I finished this one a little over a month ago but I wanted to wait to show it to you until I had gifted it to the baby's mama. I finally got a chance to meet up with her and deliver the blanket (and its intended baby arrived last week, huzzah!), so, now you get to see it.

I have to say, I love pretty much everything about this blanket. The only thing I didn't like was that I felt like it was a little small. I was a bit put off by this, especially given how much yarn I had left over, but the Brava had more yardage per skein than the listed amount, so that could probably account for that. Still, the next time I make this, (which will be happening) I will probably go up a hook size and possibly add one more strip of fish. It actually really is the perfect size for a baby, I just like my blankets to be ginormous.

In addition to looking really nifty, the pattern itself is super easy to work up, and quick. I think it took me maybe a week to make this, working a couple of hours a day on it. That is kind of my ideal blanket pattern right there. This is the cover pattern for the booklet it comes in, and the one that caught my eye and made me pick up the booklet in the first place. There are lots of cute patterns in that book, don't get me wrong, but this is by far my favorite. I think that it alone is worth the price of admission, because I suspect I will get much use out of this for many years to come.

I also want to say that this was my first project using Brava (the Ducky Momo I made my daughter used leftovers from this), which is Knit Picks' new acrylic line. You guys, I am in love with this yarn. It's comparable to Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice, but I think it is even softer, and it has a much better price point. This might be my go-to yarn for baby blankets going forward. I have already started the next baby blanket with this yarn and I am really excited about how it is coming along.

So all around, this project was a delight to work on, and the kind of thing that reminds me of just why I love to crochet and make blankets so much. It's always so wonderful to find a project like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment