Friday, October 14, 2011

Winter Wrap Up(s)

I find it amusing that as we start approaching the winter season, I have the song "Winter Wrap Up" from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic pretty much permanently stuck in my head. That song is all about "cleaning up" winter to make way for spring, but dang it if I'm not wandering around the house humming/singing it all the frickin' time lately.

If you're at all curious about the new My Little Pony series, but don't want to go so far as to watch an entire episode to make up your mind, go ahead and check out the clip below, of the aforementioned song. It features pretty much every character Ponyville (full on chorus-style musical number), and it pretty much embodies what is so awesome about this series, I think. I mean, there are plenty of other songs that appeared throughout the series' first season, but "Winter Wrap Up" is the one that all of the bronies keep bringing up. I don't blame them one bit, either. Darn thing is catchy.

Anyhoo, if you find yourself tapping your toes and digging the tune, then I would definitely recommend checking out the show (new episode tomorrow morning!). If you find that it totally isn't your thing, well, now you know you can just move along. (Bonus feature: Totally Tennant-inspired Doctor Who pony at about forty seconds in!)




Anyhoo, all of that just to say, hey, look, winter is coming! (Oh hush Ned, we know already, geez.*)

Despite wandering around the house singing a song about the oncoming spring to my daughter, I am actually starting to get excited about the cooler weather--mostly about the wardrobe shift brought on by its arrival. I try to purge my closet at least twice a year--once after the warm weather wraps up and once after the cold--and my last cold-weather clothing purge was pretty massive. So I've been building up my fall and winter wardrobe bit by bit over the last month or so.  I mean, don't get me wrong, half of the time I will still be wearing my standard novelty tees (just over a long-sleeved tee or under a hoodie). But the other half I get to look and feel a little bit more put together with sweaters and some nicer plain tops.

I am also going to give vests a whirl this year. I've picked up a couple of fleece zip-up vests and a really swanky shawl-collar knit vest that I am in love with. In addition to the sweater I am currently making, I also have some yarn earmarked for a nice vest to make for myself. I also have these waiting in the wings already:

Manos Vest by Cori 2009.

Summer Top by Cori 2009.

Yes, yes, I know that second one is called "summer" top, but I realized last winter that it actually does really well over a long-sleeved tee in the winter time.

I've also got this sweater that I finished up last fall:

Lady Grey by Cori 2010.

Not to mention the fact that I have yet to give my Doctor Who scarf a good breaking in. So yeah, I am, for once in my life, ready for the winter to get here. Then, in a few months when I still can't get "Winter Wrap Up" unstuck from my brain, I'll probably be more than ready to welcome spring, eh?

*I think a random A Song of Ice and Fire reference is totally called for in a post discussing the eminent arrival of winter, don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment