Friday, April 6, 2012

Oh Dear

Well, I saw The Hunger Games yesterday. It was fantastic. Of course. A good story, well written, well acted, with some very immersive cinematography. It was just over two hours of pure escape, and it was a lovely way to spend my afternoon (though the story itself of course dealt with some less than lovely topics).

There were some definite deviations from the book, but I didn't have any problems with them. I like the way they got around how much of the book is Katniss internally thinking about how things are playing to the audience and the game-makers. I thought that worked really well, and was not at all surprised at the end to see that the author, Suzanne Collins, had a screenwriting and executive producer credit on the film. I am glad she got consulted and was given final approval on those changes. The other changes mostly served to keep the narrative streamlined, I felt, and though I was sad at one character getting totally left out, I understood why it was done that way.

There were several moments when I teared up or was just outright crying. They did an amazing job of conveying the emotional impact of that story. Even though I knew pretty much what was coming the whole time, the second that Katniss volunteered to take Prim's place in the games, my heart leaped into my throat. It was crazy.

This movie is insane good. Even if you haven't read the book, I think you would still enjoy it quite a bit. Then you would go out and buy or borrow the books. Because, damn.

I had really intended to hold off on reading the next two books in the series until after I had finished some other stuff. I really did. But the ending of the movie, and some hints at what the fallout for the characters to come might be left me craving for more.

I started Catching Fire yesterday. I had a really hard time putting it down last night. I about cried when I finished my designated "last" chapter for the evening, because all I wanted to do was turn the page to find out what happened next. I've played Dragon Age for a sum total of I think thirty minutes since I've gotten back from my trip. Suzanne Collins has created a world and characters that just suck you in and keep you immersed from start to finish. Even now I am  itching to get back to the book.

Man, I love when a book does that to me.

Have a great weekend folks. Hopefully you've got a book that you are enjoying as much as I am this series!

May the odds be ever in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment