Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Show and Tell Time!

Hello, and thanks for stopping by, it's so nice to see you!

First and foremost, remember last week when I mentioned that the leader of Lion Brand's Crochet-Along wanted to use my finished project in her wrap-up blog? She posted it on Thursday, featuring several of the finished projects from the CAL's participants. Here is a link if you want to check it out. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to be included in that, I won't lie. Also, it is fun getting to see how some of the other participants' projects turned out too! I think I might like to try this again in the future using Vanna's choice and making the bottom tie but using it in the middle of the sweater for an empire waist instead of at the bottom. The possibilities are wonderfully endless.

But, to get back on track, I finished my baby blanket last week, huzzah! Good thing, too, since its intended recipient decided he was done with the whole in-utero thing and arrived Sunday before last, which was super early (he and his mama are both doing well). Hopefully he will get much enjoyment out of his blanket.

Water Baby by Cori 2010.

Here's a closer look at the details and edging.

Pattern: State Fair Afghan by Lion Brand Yarn (pattern available for free on their site)
Yarn: Lion Brand Baby's First in Splish Splash and Sea Sprite (three skeins each)
Hook: Size K

The pattern actually calls for a few more colors, and they are arranged in diagonal stripes, but I decided to just use the blue and green colors since the baby's room is decorated in an under the sea theme. The pattern also does not call for a border, but I feel like blocks just sewn together look unfinished without an edging, so I did two rows of half-double crochets around in the green to give it a more polished feel. I am terrifically happy with the results, I have to say.

I am not too sure about this yarn, though. I think if I make this pattern again I might try using a different bulky yarn. Don't get me wrong, it feels awesome--it is almost plush and is super soft. But it was a little difficult to work with because it is so many strands and they come loose extremely easily. This requires constant vigilance to make sure each stitch catches all of the strands, and if you get a bad ball (two of my skeins of the blue had multiple knots in them) it can get pretty nerve-wracking. The finished project looks really nice though, so it might be worth trying again. I do think this would make an awesome yarn for an amigurumi lion, it would fringe out spectacularly for the mane.

All in all, I am quite delighted with the pattern and will definitely be keeping it in my playbook. It is very simple and quick to work up, and it looks really nice. Both of those are definitely big bonuses in its favor. For any beginner looking for a great first blanket to make, this project should definitely be a consideration.

1 comment:

  1. I think the colors are perfect, and while the yarn feels awesome, I can definitely see where the texture might make it hard to work with. I'm just glad you persevered! :)

    ReplyDelete