Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crochet-Along: Mission Accomplished

Wow, strolling through my Ravelry page to get the pattern details for this post, I realized that I don't have a single unfinished project right now. That is a very nice feeling. Much better than having, say, four things going on at once. As I am sure that you can guess, all of this means that I have, indeed, finished up my CAL project.

I am kind of deliriously happy with it, I have to admit. I feel like I am really starting to improve on my garment projects, and that is also a very nice feeling. I have been crocheting for a long time and it is kind of awesome to realize that yes, I actually am still learning and getting better and able to do more all of the time. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with just wanting to learn a craft to figure out how to do one thing and then stopping there to settle in and do just that, for me that is not the way to happiness. So, I continue to learn and grow at my craft, and even to branch out and try other things, like knitting. It gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment and, yes, contentment that I think I need to really thrive in life.

I know at least part of that mindset comes from the inspiration of my mother, who is an avid knitter (and her mother before her, who taught me to crochet). For my mom knitting is not just a hobby. It is a an everyday facet of her life. A day in which she goes without knitting is a day in which something has gone horribly awry. She is constantly learning new things and creating beautiful works with her own two hands. She even designs her own patterns on a regular basis, something which I am not quite up to doing just yet, but which gives me another goal to strive to reach. She works at her local yarn store teaching others her craft and spreading the love and knowledge. Remember when I went to the comic convention earlier this past year? Well my mother spent the past weekend at Sock Summit, a convention for knitters. By all accounts she had an absolute ball, and I am so glad she got to do that. I look forward to getting to go with her to the event one of these years.

With such a wonderful inspiration like that, is it any wonder that crochet has become such an integral part of my life?

But I digress. I meant to show you my latest finished project and I shall. Here it is, in all its glory:

Sunny Days Pullover by Cori 2011.

Action shot!

Pattern: Mesh Raglan Pullover by Lion Brand Yarn (available for free on their website), size XL
Yarn: Lion Brand Recycled Cotton in Sunshine (five skeins)
Hook: H

For comparison, here is the sweater as shown on the CAL banner:


I'd say It came out pretty well, the difference in size between the models notwithstanding. I finished it on Thursday and was so happy with how it turned out I decided to give it a test drive on Friday (you may have caught a glimpse of it in my article about Squishables). Friday is my daughter's music class, which means lots of movement, and it proved to be very comfy throughout.

Added bonus: It was camera day in music class! 

Baby Girl wasn't too keen on posing for a photo, there were instruments to be played with and dancing to be done, but Hubby and I were glad of the opportunity for a family shot.

I had originally intended to make the sweater a bit longer than called for in the pattern, but once I had completed the called for number of rows, I was actually happy with the length. The only pattern modification I made was to leave out the tie for the bottom, which I felt was rather unnecessary. Other than that, this pattern is pretty marvelous and wonderfully simple. I think sweaters made from the top down are my favorite kind to make!

As far as the yarn, this was my first experience with Lion Brand's Recycled Cotton, and I have to say it was rather nice to work with. I like the idea that it is recycled from scraps used to make t-shirts, and it gives the yarn a very unique look that I quite enjoy. I think that this will definitely be a yarn I turn to again when making other garments out of cotton.

As far as what is next, I have about four more projects on my list to get done and then I think I will start delving in to the world of knitting socks. I have the pattern picked out and the yarn ordered for my next project so once it gets here I will get started on that. Until then, I think I am going to just bask in the glow of being done with everything else--and plan for all the wonderful projects I would like to do once this crop is done, of course!

Have a good one, y'all. Happy crafting.

1 comment:

  1. The pullover came out really cute! I like the light, summery color - very nice.

    ReplyDelete