Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Apparently It's The Bomb-Diggity

So Game of Thrones, the television adaptation of the first book in George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, premiered on HBO this past weekend. I didn't watch it, of course. I don't have HBO, for one thing, and I am only eight chapters into the first book of the series for another.

Still, good lord, I want to see it. I am having a hard time resisting the urge to just buy the season pass on iTunes, tiny non-television-sized computer monitor be damned.

All of the reviews I have seen (that I haven't been able to read, which is killing me just a little bit) seem to be pretty glowing. People that I actually know who watched it have been raving on Facebook about the awesomeness, and several writers and webcomics creators I follow online have been singing its praises as well. The show did so well that HBO even officially renewed it for a second season. After only one episode had aired. Wow.

Everything points to this being a series that is not only awesome by all measurable standards, but also something that I will really and truly love.

Still. I'll be good and wait. It is hard enough not devouring the first book, rather than just reading two chapters a week along with Leigh Butler, who is doing a read-along on Tor's website. But what I have read I have truly enjoyed, even when I have been appalled by the events unfolding on the page. Especially in these last two chapters. Wow. The people were not kidding when they said that Martin is not kind to his characters. I have only had one chapter from the perspective of a certain character and I am dying to get back to her again, because I am quite concerned for her welfare. I already know that not a lot of good happens to her from the not really spoilery comments I have seen online, but still...

I am not sure I will be able to keep my willpower in check as far as reading the books goes (I have already demonstrated that I have precious little of that particular attribute), but I will wait to watch the series until after I have read all of the first book and probably some of the second. Just to avoid spoilers as much as is humanly possible.

So, even though I haven't yet actually seen this show, I am gonna go ahead and recommend it. If you like fantasy, if you like epic story-telling, if you like War of the Roses type succession battles, if you like gorgeous costume dramas, gorgeous British men, or if you like a damn good story that is well-told, then this is for you. Sunday nights on HBO, tune in. Or, if you don't have have HBO or would just rather read a book, get thee to a bookstore! A Song of Ice and Fire, first novel, A Game of Thrones.

You'll thank me later.

Ginia Bellafante can suck it.

4 comments:

  1. Umm, yes, you sooooo need to see it. I was absolutely enthralled, despite the fact that some of the characters are stabby-dance inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I definitely will. I just have to wait until at least after I read the first book. I have done very well to avoid spoilers thus far and I would like to keep it up. :o) (It is quite possible though that once book one is read, I might get all caught up before season two of the tv show airs...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, those are some massive books, I salute you for tackling it before the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, waiting for Netflix or something myself. But it's hard when it stars Sean Bean and looks so good. I haven't even read the books, but... it looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete