Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday Tidbits

Well, while I actually had a lovely weekend, I am really just not feeling it today.  Between the arrival of Fall kicking up my allergies and the cold my husband had last weekend, I am now in the hacking up my lungs stage of my own cold.  Whee.  I went ahead and gave in to the siren song of DayQuil, and while this is mostly good news for the alleviation of my congestion, it does mean I am nowhere near coherent enough to write anything of substance today.

So, I offer you up a few random tidbits for your perusal and enjoyment today.

Here is the finished blanket I was working on last week.  Now that its been given to the recipients I can share it with you.

Cocoa Waves by Cori 2010.

Pattern:  Hi-Five Towel by Sarah C





And yeah, you're reading that second caption correctly.  I did use a dish towel pattern for this blanket.  It is just a really awesome pattern, and after making a few towels with it, I wanted to see how it looked in a bigger piece.  I am really really pleased with how this one came out.

Yesterday I finished the birthday gift I was working on, so I'll have photos of that after it's been given.  My crochet plan for this week is to make my sister's October swap squares and that is it.  I think I am going to take a mini-hiatus from crochet for the rest of the week at least.

For the Star Wars fans out there, I stumbled across a couple of cool links over the weekend.  First, a little insight into what we can expect for the third Robot Chicken Star Wars special.   Color me excited about that.  Also, io9 got hold of some interesting behind the scenes trivia from the original trilogy.  It's a fun little read.  I certainly didn't know that Yoda was originally intended to be played by a monkey in a mask.  Though I am very glad that they ended up bringing in Frank Oz instead, to be sure. 

Also, the New York City Comic Con happened this past weekend.  One of Tor.com's writers attended a panel of science fiction and fantasy authors and did an awesome write-up on it.  Be warned, this is a very long article, but well worth the read.  It features, among others, Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files, Codex Alera), Naomi Novik (Temeraire), and Brandon Sanderson (who is finishing up the Wheel of Time series). 

And on a slightly more serious note, looks like Congress is entertaining a bill that would give the Attorney General power to shut down any website that he thinks infringes on any sort of copyright.  The bill gives a very broad definition of infringement and not only would sites be shut down but their creators would be permanently blacklisted from creating internet content.  Sylvia Bond over at Pink Raygun has a write-up that goes into how this will affect the online presence of fandom across the web, as well as just Joe Schmoe net users.  If you're interested in signing the petition against the bill, you can do so here.  It looks like the bill has been delayed for now, but it doesn't hurt to sign the petition if this is something you care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment