Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Kind of Fairy Tale

Well, I still have three full-sized afghans to make for events this year, but as of this moment, I am all done with baby blankets. Here is the final one I completed.

Fit For a Princess by Cori 2012.

Here's a closer look at the pattern and striping.

Pattern: Modern Alchemy by Lion Brand Yarn (free registration required to see free pattern).
Yarn: Knit Picks Brava Worsted in Fairy Tale, Cornflower, Freesia, Eggplant, Peapod, Tranquil, Tidepool, and Rouge (one ball each).
Hook: US K

There is nothing I don't like about this blanket. Nothing. The yarn I used, the colors I chose, the pattern itself, it's all perfect to me. This may be one of the projects I am most proud of. I almost wish I didn't make it to give away. Still, hopefully the little girl it is going to will love it and it will be something she can keep with her throughout her life. Even more so because while the color scheme is feminine, it is not super girly in my opinion (which is what I was shooting for).

Normally, I don't like doing big color stripes like this because it means so many more ends to weave in (especially when there isn't a border), but that didn't even bother me here. Also, the pattern is for a full-sized throw rather than a baby blanket so that meant that it was, proportionally, much more suited to what I think is the right size for a baby blanket. It also means I can totally use this pattern again for grownups as well as kiddos. Score.

I honestly cannot recommend this pattern enough if you are looking for a quick, easy, and beautiful crochet project.

Now, back to that shawl I've been working on and the next of the big blankets. Hopefully progress on those will speed up once I get over this random obsession I've been having with the idea of making another sweater. I don't even know where that came from but I've got the bug bad. I think I just want to make something for myself after all of these gifts I've been making. I mean, yes, the shawl is technically for me, but there is no telling when I will actually wear it. It might actually end up being a gift anyway. Time will tell, I suppose.

In the meantime, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment