Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ninja Turtles Are Awesome

Hey, guess what? I can finally show you one of the projects I have been working on, huzzah!

While at Emerald City Comic Con this past March, my husband and I noticed a guy walking around with a fan-freaking-tastic beanie. It was made to look like the top of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's head. My husband really seemed to get a kick out of, and I quietly made a mental note to be filed away for a later date.

Well, yesterday was my husband's birthday, so that later date recently arrived. I actually started making this the week of my birthday, which was admittedly poor planning on my part. Hmm, when shall I start making my husband's birthday present? How about the week that he has two days off and is around about a whole lot more than usual due to birthday fun times and summer breaks in some of his regular gigs? Yeah, that sounds about right. 

Somehow, though, I managed to get it done (though it took me much longer than it normally would have to make). For the most part, I am really happy with how this sucker came out. Hubby's favorite turtle is Donatello, so he got a purple mask. Here, have a looksie.

Turtle Power by Cori 2011.

Front on model.

Back on model.

Pattern: Completely improvised.*
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Dark Sage and Iris (one skein each).
Needles: US 9 Circular
Hook: G

*I did use the Panda Ski Mask pattern at The Running Yarn as my base pattern for this project. Largely I used this to figure out yarn requirements, get a basic size for knitting a beanie (which I had not done before), and to figure out how to make the eye holes. 

Though I did end up totally disregarding the eye hole part of the pattern because it would have involved much more cutting of and weaving in of ends than I felt like dealing with. I ended up slip stitching across with a crochet hook and then once the eyes were big enough, chaining across and picking up the knit stitches from the chain on the next row. I didn't count on the slip stitches actually building up as much as they did, however, so the eyes are smaller than I would have liked. Lucky thing my husband has tiny eyes anyway! If I ever make another one of these I would totally just follow what the pattern called for in regards to the eye holes. Lesson learned.

For those curious about the construction, basically I made this in two pieces. The Top is jut a green beanie, knit in the round. The "mask" is a strip of purple knit/purled back and forth (on circulars) with added length so that it can be tied in the back. Then I sewed the two pieces together. 

I do think, in retrospect, I would have decreased a little toward the bottom of the mask just so it would pull in a little, but that is probably the only change I would make apart from the eye holes.

Added bonus, this project also got me straightened out in my purl technique once and for all. Huzzah!

So, what did Hubby think of his TMNT hat?

Ready to get his ninja on.

Now, next project is on the needles and underway. I still can't tell you about it, but I am really digging it. I am also loving the yarn I am using for this project. This will be perfect to take along to the social at the yarn store this coming weekend. 

Heck, I'll even give you a sneak peek, just because I love you so much. Enjoy:

Current project, about twenty rows in.

More once it is finished and gifted. Have a great week folks! Happy knitting and crocheting! May you find much yarn to pet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment