Thursday, May 5, 2011

Getting Excited About Making Stuff

Wil Wheaton often mentions an idea he strives to practice, called "Get Excited and Make Things." I really enjoy this concept, and think it is a good one to try to implement in life, whether or not you are trying to profit from said "things." For me this really hits home in two areas of my life: writing and knitting/crocheting.

These are things I do ostensibly because I enjoy doing them, and because there is something within myself that needs to be creative. My imagination sparks and I must get that spark out of me somehow. I don't always know what to do with whatever it is I have written or made, but I almost always feel better for having transitioned it from within my head to something visible and tangible that I can touch and see.

But, as with anything you do often, sometimes I lose sight of the first part of the idea. That bit about getting excited can get lost in the shuffle of trying to get a project finished within a specific timeframe. The "love" part of the labor of love gets lost under all of the "labor." So when I find myself getting excited about something creative again, it is truly a wonderful feeling. Lately I've found the excitement in my yarn crafting again, and it couldn't have come at a better time!

This past week Knit Picks had a big sale on all of their sock yarn and sock-related pattern books. I fought with myself a little bit before finally caving in and finding room in the budget to take advantage of the sale. I ordered several skeins of sock yarn, a book of beginner sock knitting patterns, and a few skeins of Knit Picks' new line Dishie for good measure. Hey, National Towel Day (honoring Douglas Adams and referring to his The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) is this month and I needed to get some cotton yarn anyway. Because not only do we fiber-crafters carry our towels proudly on Towel Day, we usually make those towels first. You know, because we can. After ordering the cotton, I even hunted down a pretty spiffy pattern for it, so I am pretty much set for that particular project.

My order shipped on Monday, so I have a big box full of goodies headed my way. How is that not exciting, I ask you?

But that's not all.

When my mom came to visit, she brought with her a big chunk of her own stash that needed to find a new home. My sister and I both got some very nice yarn to make fun and exciting things with. Here's a peek at what I was gifted:



I also ended up with a few pattern books and most of Mom's straight knitting needles, since she mostly only uses circular needles these days. I have no other way to put this but: SCORE. Also, thanks Mom! I have no idea what I am gonna make with this stuff, but in case you can't tell, I am, indeed, quite excited.

But Cori, I hear you asking, what of your other projects? Well, that's the thing, isn't it? I had gotten into kind of a slump with my other projects because I was so bogged down with baby blankets (and I really really don't like the yarn I am using for the baby blankets) and that Doctor Who scarf that never ends. Yes, I still have those projects, but now I am looking at them with more eager eyes than I have in weeks.

I have made some pretty decent project on the scarf (got a lot done on it this weekend). I have finally plowed well past the halfway point on the pattern charts. See:

Sucker's actually got some length to it now.

Also, I am very very close to being done with Baby Blanket  number 3, which leaves me only two to make. I got the yarn for number 4 yesterday (made sure it is a yarn I like working with), and I know which pattern I will be using (going simple on this one), so I am all good there.


That just leaves two amigurumi to make for older siblings (which I will do in between blankets 3 and 4), as well as two wedding blankets. Then I am all over socks for the foreseeable future, my friends.

It's a good time to be a creative person, let me tell you. Huzzah for finding the fire again! Sometimes all it takes is just one little push in the right direction, eh?

2 comments:

  1. A little creativity can go a long way for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for knitting a towel! I'm so lazy... lol Also? The scarf is looking absolutely awesome.

    ReplyDelete