Monday, July 16, 2012

SGA Rewatch: Series Wrap-Up

Well, it took a little over a year, but we've finally made it all the way through the complete series of Stargate Atlantis. I want to extend a big "thank you" to everyone who has joined me on this journey. It was a lot of fun and a great chance to revisit the show with a slightly more critical eye than I usually lend it.

Stargate Atlantis is, in all seriousness, my favorite television show pretty much of all time. The show was, in many ways, a life-changing event for me. It introduced me to the concepts of fandom, fan fiction, and fan art. It was the first time I ever really considered myself as part of an online community. I have had a lot of fun sharing some of the reasons for that with you guys. I thought I'd wrap things up by listing some of the best of the best, as it were.

First off, here are my favorite episodes from each season:

Season One: The Brotherhood
Season Two: Duet
Season Three: McKay and Mrs. Miller
Season Four: Tabula Rasa
Season Five: Brain Storm

Don't ask me to pick a favorite episode for the whole series though, I don't think I could. (*cough*McKay and Mrs. Miller*cough*)

My obvious favorite characters going into the rewatch were McKay and Lorne. After all is said and done, I think that Ronon and Todd have emerged with distinction as well, however.

What about you guys? Did any of you have any favorites coming in? Did any of those change, or did watching the episodes again just reinforce why you loved what you did in the first place?

Now, it seems unlikely that the already written follow-up movie to the series, Stargate: Extinction, will ever actually see the light of day, but if you want more Stargate Atlantis don't despair! There are still other places to get your fix.

Tie-In Novels: I've mentioned this several times throughout my rewatch but here you go one last time. Fandemonium has released (and continues to do so) several wonderfully written novels set within the events of the series and beyond. Each novel is like its own self-contained episode.

Audio Stories: Big Finish Audio has released several short audio stories (each about 50 minutes long) in the Stargate Atlantis universe. They are told from the point of view of different characters and read by the actor who portrayed that character. It's actually a nice way to explore some of the other characters on the base, aside from the main team.

Fan Fiction: If it is your thing, my favorite archive of Stargate Atlantis fan fiction is over at Wraithbait. It's not quite as active a community as it used to be, but it is a huge repository of stories set within this world. Wraithbait also has some fairly stringent policies on what they will accept/post quality-wise, so as far as fan fiction goes, the writing is better than you find in a lot of places.

So...I think that's about it. Thank you again, so so very much, for coming along with me on this ride. I hope that you will join me on the next. Come back Wednesday when I announce the new rewatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment