Friday, August 26, 2011

A Much Needed Break

Phew. It has been a week. I, of course, managed to come down with a cold the day after my birthday (there's that small favor, at least), but it kicked my butt through Wednesday. When I wasn't feeling worn-down and miserable, I was feeling completely loopy and fuzzy-headed from the cold medicine.

Of course, my lovely, wonderful, sweet, adorable baby girl did her part to help matters by deciding to explore the myth of the "terrible twos." This pretty much sums up my week:

Nap time? Nah, I think I'll just destroy my room, thanks.

So yesterday I played hooky from Baby Girl's Little Gym class, letting my stupendously wonderful mother-in-law take her instead, and I went to a movie.

It was glorious.

Went and saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes and enjoyed it very much, despite never really caring for the original film (or the Marky Mark remake). It is just a very well-told story and a very well put-together movie. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a film to see this weekend and haven't caught it yet.

The timing yesterday worked out that I wouldn't be back in time for the movie if I tried to go to Little Gym, but I didn't need to actually head out until well after Baby Girl and Grandma left for class, so I ended up with a little over an hour all by myself at home yesterday morning. It was quite surreal. True alone time is a thing of distant memory for me these days, and I almost didn't know what to do with myself (I ended up playing Mass Effect for a bit before I had to leave).

Still, it was a nice break. Even though my husband and mother-in-law often try to remind me that I need to make time for myself, true "me" time, not just sneaking in some gaming or reading when Baby Girl is asleep, nothing really drives home the truth of that fact like actually getting some of that "me" time.

I need to start making more time to just take some time, you know? Realizing this and accepting it are only part of the equation. Now I just need to work on the actual doing part. At the very least, it will allow me to appreciate Baby Girl even more if I get a bit of extra time away from her. My first thought when I got home from the movie and she ran up to hug me? Man, I cannot wait until she's big enough to come to the movies with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment